Please follow and like us:
Agua de Jamaica (Hamai) is a drink of Central America and the Caribbean islands, which is essentially tea from cups of hibiscus. The drink is very refreshing when served chilled, and relaxes when served warm. Hibiscus has long been used as a remedy, and this drink in Central America is known as “agua fresca” (literally “raw water”), which means a cheap drink. It has been proven that it helps lower blood pressure, in part because of its diuretic properties. Also this drink has a beautiful saturated ruby red color, so it’s very pleasant to look at.
Since ancient times, it is famous for its medicinal properties. A drink made from hibiscus flowers helps to lower high blood pressure and, presumably, reduces the risk of stroke and heart attacks. Enjoy the unique and refreshing taste of this Agua de jamaica and be healthy! The caloric content of the carcade tea is 4.6 kcal per 100 ml of the drink (without sugar and other additives)
Ingredients and preparation
In order to make 1.8 liter. Tea from the petals of hibiscus, you need:
½ cup dried hibiscus petals
Water (8 glasses)
Sugar (about ½ cup, or to taste)
OPTIONAL: rum, ginger, thinly sliced lime for decoration
• Bring four cups of water to boil. Add ½ cup dried hibiscus petals and ½ cup sugar. If you want to add ginger to tea and then do it now.Periodically stirring, boil the tea for 2 minutes. Cover the tea with a lid and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Strain in to a pitcher and discard the used hibiscus flowers, ginger, cinnamon, and/or allspice berries. Add the remaining 4 cups of cold water and stir well. Immediately serve by adding ice. Otherwise, let the tea cool in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve. Alternatively you can add ice and chilled soda water for a bubbly version. Add a little lime juice for a more punch-like flavor. Serve over ice with a slice of orange or lime. Enjoy a drink.
Useful properties of hibiscus drink
• Organic acids, flavonoids (by the way, they are not produced by the human body, but get inside only with food), pectins, vitamins and trace elements and low calorie content makes hibiscus drink a great helper during various weight loss diets.
• Strengthens the body’s immunity and defenses during chronic fatigue.
• Thanks to the content of vitamin PP, the hibiscus drink has the property of strengthening and making the walls of blood vessels elastic and permeable.
• Improves metabolism or metabolic processes.
• Stimulates the production of bile and improves liver function.
• Strengthens memory and helps maintain mental ability to a very old age.
• Tea from the flowers of hibiscus is useful for the prevention of the development of cancer.
• A few cups hibiscus drink normalizes blood pressure.
• A hot hibiscus drink is an excellent preventive tool in the period of flu and cold epidemic.
• The Sudanese rose is a good helper in preserving sexual power in men, can be used to enhance libido as an aphrodisiac.
• A mild laxative effect on the body helps to activate the digestive system and cleanse itself.
• Anthocyanins of hibiscus – substances that make the color of hibiscus drink unique, have another useful property – to reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol, as it improves the permeability of capillaries and walls of blood vessels.
• When taking an empty stomach, the hibiscus drink has an antiparasitic effect.
• Helps with hangover, food and alcohol poisoning.
• Increases the acidity of gastric juice.
• Recommend hibiscus drink and patients with type 2 diabetes, especially in the state of prediabetes.
• Has a positive effect on the eyes, since in tea from hibiscus there is a lot of quercetin – a substance
that can improve eyesight.
• Hibiscus drink is included in the diet of patients who have suffered aheart attack and stroke.
• It is an antispasmodic agent for relieving pain in the stomach and intestines caused by spasm.
• Eliminates the feeling of nausea and faintness.
• This hibiscus drink is safe for patients with kidney diseases, since it does not contain oxalic acid.
• Helps normalize the condition with heavy bleeding in women during menstruation.
Contraindications of Hibiscus drink
Categorically it is not recommended to use hibiscus drink during pregnancy and even during its planning. The fact is that tea has a pronounced estrogenic effect, which stimulates uterine contractions and inhibits the maturation of the egg. Excessive use of hibiscus drink is fraught with deterioration in concentration. Also, the drink can cause allergic reactions.